CODE OF CONDUCT
- I accept that as a member of this community, I will contribute to making a community that is safe, open, honest, and enjoyable for all involved
- I recognize that the purpose of social partner dancing is to have fun while connecting with another person. I will make the best effort to be attentive to my dance partner and enjoy each dance with each person regardless of background, race, gender, beliefs, or skill level.
- I am expected to actively participate in building the community by seeking new people to dance with and talk to. I will also foster introductions and reintroductions to help provide a welcoming atmosphere.
- I understand that consent is important and necessary
- I will obtain consent before taking any action, whether grabbing someone to dance or anything more. I understand that the social dance floor is not the appropriate place to make advances on someone before receiving consent. I understand that consenting to a dance is not the same as consenting to anything else.
- I will be mindful of my and my partner’s personal space while dancing
- I will not touch my dance partner on inappropriate places. While accidents may happen, I will try to avoid instances of inappropriate touching with my dance partner.
- I understand that each dancer has different physical boundaries, and will respect those boundaries both on and off the dance floor.
- I will be mindful of myself, my dance partner, and my surroundings when I dance
- I will not attempt large moves, lifts, kicks, or other movements that may cause injury and/or discomfort to my dance partner, myself, or those around me.
- I will be respectful of other couples on the dance floor and their space.
- It is ok and expected for me to tell my dance partner if something they do causes me discomfort
- I will make my best effort to inform them and give them an opportunity to change it. I understand that communication can clear up misunderstandings before they build. I recognize that people are sometimes unaware that their actions are uncomfortable until they are informed.
- If I receive feedback from my dance partner about something that causes them discomfort, I will take it graciously.
- I will not teach on the social dance floor
- I will not offer unsolicited advice about someone’s dancing. I understand that people of all skill levels come to enjoy the dance and may not be looking for feedback.
- I will bring inappropriate actions that I personally experience of observe to the attention of the organizers
- I understand that it is my responsibility to report breaches of this code of conduct in order to facilitate a better, safer, community.
- I will not abuse substances to the point where it may harm myself, my dance partner, or those around me
- I understand that alcohol and/or drug use is not an excuse for any behavior that may cause discomfort to my dance partner or others around me. I understand that I may be removed from the event as a consequence and if removed I will be responsible for contacting a friend or a rideshare to get home.
- I am aware that Austin Rocks is not responsible for what happens to me or my vehicle in the meantime.
How to report incidents:
If someone’s actions are in the realm of (sexual or otherwise) harassment or abuse, please inform an organizer or staff member (listed below). That said, simply not liking the way someone looks, talks, or dances is not a good enough reason to accuse them of harassment.
We will only accept official complaints from those directly involved with the incident or authorized representatives of those involved. We do not accept hearsay. We understand that it can be uncomfortable, so we will accept complaints both in-person and via writing.
If you breach this code of conduct:
Serious breaches of code of conduct will result in automatic ban at the discretion of event owners. Previous police records for sexual harassment or existing restraining orders within the dance community will result in an automatic ban.
- First report will result in a discussion and possible verbal repercussion
- Second report will result in you being told to leave the event
- Three reports within a short timespan will result in a ban, release of ban is at the discretion of the event owners.
Official event representatives:
Taletha Jouzdani: email@example.com
Demetre Souliotes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristen Ott: email@example.com
This Code of Conduct is derived from West Toast Swing’s Code of Conduct with their permission.
Blue Note San Diego’s Code of Conduct with the organization’s permission.
DanceJam Productions’ Code of conduct - http://www.dancejamproductions.com/codeofconduct.pdf
Charlottesville Swing Dance Society - http://cvilleswingdance.com/csds-code-of-conduct/
Code Blue - http://www.austinbluesdance.com/code-of-conduct.html
Code of Conduct 101 - https://www.ashedryden.com/blog/codes-of-conduct-101-faq
Conference Code of Conduct - http://confcodeofconduct.com/